Long distance cycling after long time! Tamluk to Santragachi

 

Crack of dawn

Earth day was observed a few days ago all over the world. I was eager to start cycling again. But this long pause of 5-6 years from cycling had taken a toll on my confidence. It was my confidence that really pushed my cycle forward, not my physical fitness. So it took me good 4 months to finally gather courage to take on long distance cycling again.

At a toll plaza

April has started to see some of the hottest temperature of the year. So without planning it would be very tough to ride in these intense heat. I planned to ride in the very early hours of the day so I could avoid the intense heat totally. Distance of Santragachi from Tamluk was not much, only 75 km. Even at an average speed 15km/hr I would reach there in 5 hrs. So this was my plan, to start early and to ride nice and steady without pushing myself too hard.

Sunrise over Kolaghat Thermal Power Plant

On this Sunday I started from home at 4:30 am. It was still dark. I always loved to see sunrise on the road. It brought back memories of 10-15 years ago. As I was reaching Mecheda, sun had come up over the thermal power plant. I forgot to bring action camera so I had to record handheld. My Trek was rolling so smoothly, it was a pleasure to ride. As I was riding over Kolaghat bridge, it reminded me of my longest ride yet. In that ride I was riding solo, was going to Jalpaiguri. It took me 5 days to reach there. That was one of my best experiences. Back then there was no smartphone or google maps. I kept printed map with me and with the help of local people I navigated the roads. It was an eye opener for me about the world. After that I never hesitated to go outside, to go unknown places. I knew I would find help.

On Kolaghat bridge

Reached Uluberia without any problem. That was past halfway point. So I knew the next part would be smooth too. Road was less crowded as it was Sunday morning. Weather had not heated up yet. After taking a short break I started cycling again. I felt a bit uneasy because of long absence from road. Everything feels a bit different when you are on a bicycle. Cars generally could not see cycles on the road, it is kind of invisible to them. So you have to be extra careful. On a 6 lane highway it is a bit easy but on narrow roads it is stressful for new cyclists.

Somewhere near Uluberia

Reached my room within 08:30. But before that had a big cup of tea on a road side stall.



Comments